- Con to the question "Is Drinking Milk Healthy for Humans?"
“Milk contains fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol, and diets high in fat and saturated fat can increase the risk of several chronic diseases, including cardiovascular disease. Other dairy products, such as cheese, yogurt, butter, and ice cream, also contribute significant amounts of cholesterol and fat to the diet. Even low-fat and fat-free milk and dairy products carry health risks because of cholesterol. In addition, natural and artificial hormones are present in all types of milk and dairy products, regardless of fat.”
“Frequently Asked Questions About Nutrition,” www.pcrm.org (accessed Mar. 28, 2007)
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
“Founded in 1985, the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM) is a nonprofit organization that promotes preventive medicine, conducts clinical research, and encourages higher standards for ethics and effectiveness in research.”
www.pcrm.org (accessed Mar. 28, 2007)
“PCRM promotes healthy diets, particularly vegetarian and vegan choices, and works to reform public nutrition policies. Staff members conduct literature reviews, which are published in peer-reviewed medical journals, lecture at scientific conferences, libraries, and corporate and governmental venues across the country.”
PCRM 2006 990 form, www.pcrm.org (accessed Oct. 4, 2007)
- None found
- Quoted in:
- Is Drinking Milk the Best Way for People to Incorporate Calcium into Their Diet?
- Are There Associations between Milk and Cancer?
- Does Drinking Milk Help to Prevent Osteoporosis?
- Are There Any Safety or Nutritional Differences in Milk from Cows Supplemented with Growth Hormones Such as rBST and Milk from Cows Not Supplemented with Hormones?
- Does Drinking Milk Inhibit Iron Absorption and Contribute to Anemia?
- Which Cultures Do Not Consume Significant Quantities of Milk?
- Is Drinking Milk a Good Way to Build Strong Bones?
- Can People Who Are Lactose Intolerant Consume Milk Anyway?