- Director of Plant and Dairy Food Safety at the US Food and Drug Administration's Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Is Drinking Milk Healthy for Humans?"
“Raw milk is inherently dangerous and should not be consumed. Raw milk continues to be a source of foodborne illness and even a cause of death within the United States. Despite the claims of raw milk advocates, raw milk is not a magical elixir possessing miraculous curative properties. Pasteurization destroys pathogens and most other vegetative microbes which might be expected and have been shown to be present in milk. Pasteurization does not appreciably alter the nutritive value of milk.”
Testimony before the Health and Government Operations Committee of the Maryland House of Delegates, www.fda.gov, Mar. 15, 2007
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs, MDs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to milk. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to milk.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Director, Division of Plant and Dairy Safety, Office of Food Safety, US Food and Drug Administration Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, 2000-present
- US Alternate Delegate, Milk and Milk Products, Codex Alimentarius Committee
- JD, school unknown
- BSc, Dairy Science, University College Cork (Ireland), 1982
- None found
- Quoted in: