- English teacher and Founder of SugarWatch
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Is Drinking Milk Healthy for Humans?"
“Many would argue that while flavored milk has some drawbacks, drinking milk has many health benefits, and children are more likely to drink milk if it is flavored. In fact, some flavored milk providers actually market their products to schools by claiming that it can be beneficial for building muscle after a rigorous workout, and by making a comparison between the amount of sugar in flavored milk versus soda. These arguments are shortsighted and don’t make much sense, however.
First, sugar has been shown to reduce the body’s ability to absorb calcium. Thus any health advantages of milk are actually negated once sugar is added. And, second, if the measure for health is just having less sugar that soda, then we can say just about anything is healthy. We must do better.”
“An Open Letter to the LAUSD Board: Returning Flavored Milk Is an Unhealthy Step for Students,” LA School Report website, June 8, 2016
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals and organizations that do not fit into the other star categories.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Assessor and Professional Development Presenter, EnCorps STEM Teachers Program, 2015-present
- English teacher, CATCH Prep Charter High School, 2017-June 2018
- Application Screener, Alliance College-Ready Public Schools, 2017
- Founder, SugarWatch, 2015
- Family Trainer, PowerMyLearning, 2010-2015
- Fellow, New Leaders Council, 2014
- Seventh grade humanities teacher, Gabriella Charter School, 2013-2014
- Outreach Director, Educators 4 Excellence, 2012-2013
- English teacher, Compton Unified School District, 2010-2012
- Corps Member, Teach for America, 2009-2011
- English teacher, Los Angeles Unified School District, 2009-2010
- MA, Urban Education and Leadership, Loyola Marymount University, 2011
- MDiv, Divinity/Ministry, Fuller Theological Seminary, 2009
- Twitter handle: @SugarWatch
- Quoted in: